1932

Golf Course Opens

The Park Hill Golf Club was first opened in 1932 on the Clayton College Dairy Farmland and the old Lowry Airport. When George Clayton died in 1899, the land was put into a trust and the City of Denver was named trustee.

1932
1970s

City Sells Part of the Golf Course

In the 1970s, the city sold the northwest corner of the land to the federal government for a planned relocation of the U.S. Mint. When the Mint did not move, the federal government sold the land to the Southern Ute Tribe and it was developed over time into what is now Park Hill Village condominiums, apartments and retail.

1970s
1980s

Clayton Foundation Formed

In the 1980’s, the Clayton Foundation was formed and they took control of the trust from the city.

1980s
1989

City Bond Initiative

In a 1989 bond initiative, the city included a line item that would provide $2 million toward the purchase of the property. However, that amount was deemed not nearly enough to purchase the land back then.

1989
1997

An Easement is Placed on the Property

In 1997, the Clayton Foundation needed additional revenue to fund its operations. The city negotiated an easement agreement, stating that the property would be restricted for use as a regulation length 18-hole daily-use fee public golf course and driving range. In need of funding, that same year, CEL negotiated a sale of the southeast corner of the property to KB Homes to develop the Overlook community.

1997
1998

The Property Remains a Golf Course

In 1998, as part of all of these transactions, Clayton Early Learning (CEL), formerly the Clayton Foundation, negotiated a 20-year lease with a golf course operator to help fund its operations.

1998
2000

The Easement is Partially Removed

In 2000, the city and Clayton entered into an Agency agreement which removed the easement from the land. The agreement required that the easement would be reinstated if Clayton ever sold the property.

2000
2016

Planning for the Property’s Future Begins

The golf course continued to operate, but at a financial loss for the final several years of its lease. Faced with the likelihood that the golf course operator would not renew its lease, in 2016, CEL started a visioning process to determine what the land should become.

2016
2018

Golf Course Closes

The Park Hill Golf Club has been closed since the end of 2018 due to a city stormwater project that is part of its Platte to Park Hill Project. The city condemned 25 acres of the golf course for a permanent easement.

2018
June 2019

Westside Purchases the Property

In June 2019, CEL sold the golf course to Westside and the 2019 easement was reapplied to the land per the terms of the 2000 Agency agreement, again restricting the property for use as a golf course.

June 2019